[oi-dev] Resignation

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 07:33:51 UTC 2014

On 09/13/14 10:00 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> I'm personally one of those who don't care about SPARC, so I wouldn't
> say that it's the main OI problem.

Main problem is that things people say being hostile to whole hardware
platforms,
turn people away from OI and illlumos. (like it is shown in Peter's
response to another attack on SPARC)
Personally I don't care for distributions that tend to lower their
hardware support for unknown religious reasons.
And if one call SPARC support "religious" and  tend to dismantle and
destroy any effort of supporting SPARC - is actually religious on the
even bigger level.

Things that someone personally don't care, should not be an obstacle for
things that people DO care about.
It could be only excuse to do things in Sparc incompatible ways, for
personal comfort.
> The main problem is the lack of developers. The other are coming from
> this one.
And it is not solved by turning them away.
Or killing SPARC dev's access to mailing list... Like both illumos and
OI did recently.
I would like to raise a voice on such antisocial things.
> I'd say that a lot of outdated software or software which can't be
> easily rebuilt is a problem.
> I think that software coming from JDS and XNV consolidations which is
> still out of oi-userland is a problem.
> I think that binary blobs (e.g. /usr/bin/make or motif) which can't be
> easily rebuilt is a problem.
> I'd say that lack of software usual for FreeBSD or Linux user (e.g.,
> postfix, smartmontools, hhvm on server side,
> fresh python, perl, ruby versions for developers or audio and video
> codecs, virtualbox, wine for desktop users)
> is a problem.
If one keeps binary compatibility as a goal and have regular and stable
releases as a goal most of those will not be a problem, e.g. would go
away if software not being able to rebuild is known to be supported in
exact release. (and branded zone).

Not having teams (, other) and having all thing centralized is a problem.
Doing everything without consulting wider audience , users and acting
without thinking over it is a problem.
Lack of software is also sold with having STABLE releases or at least
regular releases in /dev, people could actually port software to.
Targeting video codecs, audio, tools, large packages like virtualbox
(binary Virtualbox from the project site for Solaris, works very well on
OI BTW,
unless Hipster killed compatibility in recent days.)

Not having /dev releases and not having numbered versions
and insisting on killing consolidations and incorporation and tendency
of killing SPARC is a problem.

But not creating Teams is I think biggest problem of all.