[oi-dev] Resignation

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Mon Oct 6 16:56:48 UTC 2014

Aurélien Larcher писал 06.10.2014 15:47:
> I guess once the JDS consolidation is fully buildable in hipster things
> will become more streamlined ?

I think it's the one which has the tightest connections with userland
(sfw) consolidation (besides illumos-gate).
We have a lot of dependencies in JDS on userland software. So, without
porting
JDS to oi-userland further work on userland is problematic. Luckily, XNV
has less connections to
userland, but we eventually have to move this one to oi-userland too.

In any case there is enough work for at least a dozen devs. Even when we
put everything to one build system,
we'll have to update a lot of software. And if with server software it's
rather straightforward,
desktop one has much more issues. Even Gnome 2.32 is too old. And we
even don't have 2.32.
One more issues is software which is tricky to build or which has no
sources at all
(for example, make, cpp, motif). AFAIK, SmartOS uses Sun CC-built make.
And porting it to GNU C++
is not trivial. There are also some sources for cpp, but I've heard that
they need additional patches to behave like OpenSolaris cpp.
And to replace motif with binary compatible open sourced version for me
seems a very tricky task.
---