[oi-dev] Resignation

Bayard Bell buffer.g.overflow at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 23:15:42 UTC 2014

On 8 October 2014 23:36, Nikola M. <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/ 8/14 08:19 PM, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
>
> Talk is cheap, and people should have to earn the right to have an opinion
>> on how the project is run.
>>

>> Back when I was project lead, I made the mistake of soliciting input from
>> all interested parties, which resulted in enormous weekly meetings with
>> lots of talk and no action. It killed the project, as it became mired in
>> indecision and a total lack of focus. What is needed is a single minded
>> lazer sharp focus.

[snip]

It was probably lack of organization that killed many efforts before.

>From my experience trying to walk a mile in his shoes, I fully endorse
Alasdair's observation that a clearly established historical problem for OI
was having meetings to talk about organisation and process with people in
the hope that they might contribute. When it comes to established practice,
there is nothing novel about the proposition that one earns a say in the
workings of an open-source community with sweat equity. One encourages
people to contribute rather than bargains.

If you think this claim is simply polemical, you might as well argue with
the wind.

Cheers,
Bayard