[oi-dev] OpenSXCE It is illegal to sell without source code.

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Sat Sep 20 11:01:55 UTC 2014

Martin Bochnig <martin at martux.org> wrote:

> Hi Joerg and all,
>
> thank you for your friendly messages.
> Yes, everything started at first with SchilliX. Even BeleniX at its
> very beginning, the father of Indiana, which was then simply cloned

I in fact made a project proposal to Sun years before they hired Ian Murdock to
do a 95% clone of my ideas. A collaboration with Fraunhofer FOKUS for this goal
would heve been much cheaper for Sun ;-)

> and is now known as OI. In truth it is BeleniX++, which was originally
> derived at first from SchillIX, but added a myriad of stuff engineered
> by Moinak Ghosh and his team in Bangalore!!! And afterwards by Sun's
> Caiman team (thanks to dave Miner!). And X11 group (Thanks to Alan
> Coopersmith mainly, but also to Stuart Kreitman and their his team
> members)

Alan and Stuart are the "old ones" who know Solaris the way we oldtimers (most
Solaris users) like it. BTW: creating caiman also was more or less based on
ideas that I presented to Sun in December2003.

> Until 2007 we were a true community of competing but friendly
> individuals. Then came a few Sun managers and hired Ian Murdock for PR
> reasons only, then came IPS as enforced by Dr. Hahn and so on, the
> beginning of the end of OpenSolaris and even of Solaris in total.

While Ians biggest mistake was to assume that there was no Solaris community
which in turn caused him to start "community building activities" that harmed
the existing Solaris community; the main reason for the going down of Sun was
Jonathan Schwartz.

I was on a talk held by Scott McNealy at Technische Universität Berlin around
2007. This was a Scott that was completely different from the Scott I knew from
around 1990. I believe he was not healthy enough to lead the company anymore
and decided to give this job to Jonathan Schwartz. Schwartz however did
not understand that a company needs to make a bit more win than Sun did at that
time. Looking at the win reported by Oracle just after aquiring Sun, it was
obvious that there was no need to annoy customers the way Oracle does as a
moderate change would have been sufficient. Scott at least preventet the total
decline of Sun by preventing Sun to be sold to IBM.

> OI would not exist, without our early initial Distros from the era
> directly after 20050614.
> Therefore I find it extremely painful, how some "persons" dealt with
> you, at times.
> And then also with me and others.

Before that time, Sun people have been very helpful to me and I have never been
able to find out who is responsible for the intrigue against me. Well the
current situation reduced the the number of people who would be a possible
target for this search...

> I only re-subscribed to point out a single aspect, that may not be
> clear to all of you, due to the unfortunate subject line at the top,
> as chosen by Nikola last week (we are friends now, btw). But this
> headline may confuse some readers: It is not true, that I enforced
> payments. Maybe I tried it in June 2014, but gave up after 2 days.

Just a hint: Try to avoid political statements on a technical web page or blog
and be very careful with encouraging people to give a donation.

> DilOS and OpenSXCE will have a bright future, and SchilliX is also
> welcome to participate.
> That's all I can tell you at this time.

I told you already that the target community for SchilliX is the group of
people that like a UNIX like Solaris and try to avoid to get too much
Linuxsims.

The people I have in mind also like to have some features that are missing in
IPS and therefore need a OpenSolaris-ON base that supports SVr4 packages
natively. This is what SchilliX-on is for. BTW: You could do me a favor if you
could send me some information on how you have been able with reenabling
Solaris native zones.

> Until mid of October I'll be in Ukraine, then it starts  ;)
> I'm still in talks with Igor and cannot say anything without his permission.
> But OpenSXCE will of course open its code, but carefully. And not for trolls.
> (most code is available at Sun/Oracle anyway, but it appears many are
> not even aware of that lol)

See above. You could try to contact me in private...

There is also a licensing issue that I would like to discuss with you on the
phone.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin