[oi-dev] Patching illumos sources and mirroring sources

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 05:46:45 UTC 2015

On 07/28/15 12:36 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> We now have Perl 5.22 as our main Perl version. During Perl 5.22
> integration
> some old packages, including Apache 1.3, MySQL 5.1 and Perl 5.10, were
> removed.
>
> We deliver all perl 5.22 modules which were delivered for Perl 5.16
> earlier. Almost all perl 5.16 modules and Perl 5.16 are kept (the only
> removed module is graphviz perl module, which had conflicts with Perl
> 5.22 module).

Illumos source needs patching after downloading, related to Perl update
(and others in the future)
so it does not affect illumos build on OI and prevent people changing
distribution, because they are not able to build it by default.
http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/182179/2015/07/sort/time/page/15/entry/16:377/20150730233009:6F36E180-3734-11E5-B06C-F4BBA9DDBECD/

Therefore  keeping and maintaining mirror of illumos source code with OI
patches, like any other distro.
Also shipping broken stuff that does not work should not be done.

It also pull some other questions, would pulling from external sources
every time one wants to build, with or without checking hashes is a good
practice.
Every distro needs to deliver not only it's patches and ways of making
packages, but having source code itself available on request to users,
to fulfill licencing requrements.