[oi-dev] Patching illumos sources and mirroring sources

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 12:09:24 UTC 2015

In this case Alexander wrote the relevant message to the ML so the issue
seems to be more the visibility of such information: nothing broken has
shipped per se.
I forwarded the heads-up to illumos-dev.
Ideally yes what you suggest should be done, are you willing to be the
maintainer of such illumos-gate clone ? That seems a very good step.
Regards,

Aurelien

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 7:46 AM, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/28/15 12:36 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
>
>> We now have Perl 5.22 as our main Perl version. During Perl 5.22
>> integration
>> some old packages, including Apache 1.3, MySQL 5.1 and Perl 5.10, were
>> removed.
>>
>> We deliver all perl 5.22 modules which were delivered for Perl 5.16
>> earlier. Almost all perl 5.16 modules and Perl 5.16 are kept (the only
>> removed module is graphviz perl module, which had conflicts with Perl 5.22
>> module).
>>

> Illumos source needs patching after downloading, related to Perl update
> (and others in the future)
> so it does not affect illumos build on OI and prevent people changing
> distribution, because they are not able to build it by default.
>
> http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/182179/2015/07/sort/time/page/15/entry/16:377/20150730233009:6F36E180-3734-11E5-B06C-F4BBA9DDBECD/
>
> Therefore  keeping and maintaining mirror of illumos source code with OI
> patches, like any other distro.
> Also shipping broken stuff that does not work should not be done.
>
> It also pull some other questions, would pulling from external sources
> every time one wants to build, with or without checking hashes is a good
> practice.
> Every distro needs to deliver not only it's patches and ways of making
> packages, but having source code itself available on request to users, to
> fulfill licencing requrements.
>

>> Removal of Apache 1.3 means that you can't longer build old illumos-gate
>> versions. Luckily, illumos-gate builds nicely with Apache 2.2 since
>> February.
>>
>> We suggest you to use either percona-server or mariadb instead of mysql.
>>
>> Removal of Perl 5.10 is more important. It was a relict inherited from OI
>> /dev and still is used in OI /dev to build illumos-gate. This means that to
>> build illumos-gate
>> 1) you should have runtime/perl-522/module/sun-solaris and
>> library/perl-5/xml-parser-522 installed (they will be installed
>> automatically on pkg update),
>> 2) you should set
>> export PERL_VERSION="5.22"
>> export PERL_PKGVERS="-522"
>>
>> in your illumos.sh.

LARCHER Aurélien          | KTH, School of Computer Science and
Communication
Work: +46 (0) 8 790 71 42 | Lindstedtsvägen 5, Plan 4, 100 44 Stockholm,
SWEDEN