[oi-dev] Patching illumos sources and mirroring sources

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 04:46:34 UTC 2015

On 08/ 1/15 02:09 PM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> In this case Alexander wrote the relevant message to the ML so the
> issue seems to be more the visibility of such information: nothing
> broken has shipped per se.
> I forwarded the heads-up to illumos-dev.
> Ideally yes what you suggest should be done, are you willing to be the
> maintainer of such illumos-gate clone ? That seems a very good step.

If Hipster is building from illumos-gate clone, then there could be set
of patches to apply to it before building it for Hipster release.
Don't know if there is needed to dedicate exact maintainer to illumos-gate,
because clone at the start could always be refreshed from upstream illumos,
with just applying changes that are needed for it to build on OI Hipster.

Maybe for starter it would need no maintainer, because:
- anyone that changes something in OI Hipster that interfere with
building upstream illumos needs to have patch(es) for illumos that allow
upstream illumos to be built
- It is problem of maintaining changes in OI that interfere with illumos
building etc and not maintaining ilumos-gate clone itself (that was up
to now unchanged upstream illumos).
- There could be not many changes for illumos sources because it is not
intent to largely change illumos, but to see that building environment
is good on OI Hipster for illumos building (important for user adoption
and experimenting):

1. Patches that are always applied to fresh illumos-gate upstream clone
, that are required in OI illumos, so that illumos could be built on OI
nad work right.
It is maintained and is problem of contributor who change parts of OI
Hipster that interfere with illumos building etc. No changes of OI
packages that interfere with building illumos shell pass.

----

That is a start for adding other set of patches that add additional
functions not found on upstream hipster, for testing, yet building of it
could end up on different OI Hipster release/repository for testing
before ending up included in hipster illumos.

So at the end there could be 3 sets of patches:
1. Explained

2. Patches to illumos that are included in OI Hipster as additional
funcionality to upstream illumos-gate.
this kind of addition would need active maintainer, aether of the gate
clone and of each separate functionality.

3. Same as 2. but plus it is ment for testing and ends up built in
separate repo from OI Hipster, like Hipster-testing , where experiments
for additional functions of illumos could be tested.

If implementing (2) and (3) it would require ability of user of OI
Hipster, to switch from OI Hipster's upstream-only illumos (1) to
maintained illumos with additional functions (2) to testing additional
functions.
If it means to have 3 separate repos, (Hipster mainline , Hipster
suported and Hipster testing) and it's multimedia/encumbered
repositories, then it is, or user switchable illumos type after install.