[oi-dev] hack 5800

Bruce Lilly bruce.lilly at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 18:49:51 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Alan Coopersmith <
alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:

> When we integrated this code into Solaris, to conform with Solaris security
> policy, we patched it to only listen on port 5800 if you requested it with
> the -http option, where upstream enabled it by default:
>

> https://hg.java.net/hg/solaris-x11~x-s12-clone/file/570c86581dc8/open-src/xserver/xvnc/vnc-nohttpd.patch
>
> I've not checked the OI fork of the code to see if they kept this up or
> dropped it.

On  oi_151a9 with the GNOME desktop, if "Desktop Sharing" (available under
"System"->"Preferences") is enabled, it enables the http connection also;
it even lists a link (but the link is broken because the protocol field is
given as "vnc" rather than "http").  One can connect via a GUI browser such
as Firefox, provided that Java is enabled in the browser (doing so on the
same host will give an "infinite reflection" type of display, so connecting
from another system might be less unpleasant).  "Desktop Sharing" has a
number of settings available, including Security-related settings.

I don't know what the situation is for 'hipster' (I'm not one of those :-/).