[oi-dev] OI User documentation

Michael Kruger makruger2000 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 21:10:20 UTC 2015

On 12/25/2015 02:02 PM, Nikola M wrote:

> I think both of them have a place there, it is not the question weither
> one or another.
>
> it is important to write on the wiki and that is where people woud look
> first anyway.
> So it could be two tracks and being valuable for both big documentation,
> updated
> and wiki, that might be more fresh and current.
>
> One can not replace big documentation with the Wiki
> and one can not replace Wiki's usability and versatility with
> XML/ODT/PDF documentation

Hi Nikola,

As others have pointed out, the most realistic approach may be to begin
with the wiki, OI handbook, blog posts, etc. Doing these things will
make the OI website more inviting and (hopefully) result in increased
community participation.

Once there are more contributors, then taking on larger projects (such
as updating the OpenSolaris documentation) could be considered.

I think for now simply getting the OpenSolaris docs (as they currently
exist) into version control and placing links on openindiana.org to the
GIT repo, would be a good place to start. We'll just need to make clear
there are some difference between the docs and current code. We could
even go a step further and ask the community for assistance in pointing
out those differences so they can be properly documented.

Michael