[oi-dev] Updating Hipster and GUI log-in breakage with mounted ZFS datasets

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Feb 18 15:39:35 UTC 2015

Nikola, in Alexander's defense - AFAIK it was not his 'arbitrary decision' that /opt is not officially supported as a separate dataset.

When Sun first introduced zfs-based rootfs (as opposed to ufs root and zfs userdata), its installer only offered optional placement of /var into a separate dataset (child of current root) - not /opt nor /usr as part of the OS package targets. I think this has not been changed since than (even if it was a regression compared to several ufs slices or lvm's). Things outside of this might have worked 'by chance', but otherwise they were not required nor guaranteed to. With other usecases, like my eagerness for split-roots, users are on their own.

I have posted a dozen unclosed-yet illumos bugs that need to be addressed in packaging, BE management, installer, zfs-clone code, etc. to facilitate better 'core' support for such setups. Instead of whining, use the scripted/manual workarounds like those in my articles, or go do some coding. Most of those issues need more time than skill. And indeed, the few active developers of the project can't cover everything at once and so get to choose priorities for their time-spending. If something so passionately matters to you - go make it happen (code, hire, sponsor, etc.)

Also consider installing some /opt/firefox into its own dataset rather than requiring a separated /opt if you're after an unmodified standard installation.

Sorry if this all sounded too harsh; as a non-developer I myself have to be content with workarounds which do get the job done. I'd love to see that code and/or logic (reworked to conform and) integrated, though ;)

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android