[oi-dev] [HEADSUP] X server update in OpenIndiana Hipster

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 18:57:29 UTC 2015

On 02/22/15 05:56 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> Hi.
> Unfortunately, we hit an issue, when older Intel video drivers don't
> compile with newer Xorg and newer one require DRM update.
> Until kernel drm work is done vesa driver can be used with Intel chips.
> This sounds awful, but I don't have better sollution now.
>
> https://www.illumos.org/issues/5637

Is there any time frame for DRM update , anyone doing work on this also
on other illumos desktop distros or we are looking at the dark here?

If issue was known prior to updates, could it be considered to have
other (older) Xorg packages as current workaround? (And maybe
auto-selected during update from 20141010 if problem with Intel graphics
is already known ?)

Intel graphics could be considered as very huge user base problem for
anyone trying to install Hipster then, I can suppose this can only turn
more people off.
As I am not to be expected to use OI Hipster for everyday tasks on my
hardware with current state of drivers, but could keep updating BE and
try debugging and testing whenever asked.