[oi-dev] [HEADSUP] X server update in OpenIndiana Hipster

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 19:07:34 UTC 2015

On 02/22/15 10:11 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:

> IIRC, Martin did a big work to get the most comprehensive set of video drivers in OpenSXCE... maybe making friends with him to cooperate, or retracing his steps, is more feasible? ;)
Unfortunately, as I understand, someone put Martin in filter (banned him
from registering/posting) to OI mailing lists? As I know, he had a
history of un-subscribing then re-subscribing to mailing lists and
un-subscribing again. But personal motives aside, he's messages were
mostly on-topic and there's no (technical) reason not to have Martin
back on list.

It is good to make friends and exchange ideas (no one is expected to
accept every idea), but if general talk is within topic, mild incursions
at the end of messages are not harmfull, so I would like Martin back on
the list.

As I also learned, Martin complained about lack of external contribution
to he's work (mainly monetary contribution for personal costs) so he can
share changed source code in OpenSXCE regarding changes he made.

Maybe it is good idea to also see if such monetary contribution to he's
(and other people's work firstly), could be considered appropriate on
the level of OI.
Maybe everyone who cares of OI, could contribute to a fund under OI
founder control (that is providing hosting, compiling facilities and
even would like to guest Sparc machines if delivered to UK).
With that fund, maybe development of important parts of distro that need
specialiyed expertize, could be boosted?