[oi-dev] [HEADSUP] X server update in OpenIndiana Hipster

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:40:16 UTC 2015

On 02/24/15 10:51 AM, ken mays via oi-dev wrote:
> There's no source code that follows OpenSXCE releases, correct me if I
> am wrong.
>
> ---> Martin mentioned he'd provide source code to his supporters. This
> is mentioned on his distro release and was in a previous blog. Also,
> some of his work pulled from existing consolidation source models.
> Just ask him
> what his current process is if you want it.
I believe then there needs to be some funding to support he's work then,
since I remember he said,
he's supporters , should be able to support him financially.
And there were very little support as it is displayed in he's text files
about he's distro.
Maybe also it could be thought of coming back for him to OI mailing lists.

> That would not be the case IF Hipster would have "entire" package
> numbered on every update,
> so that user can update to specific point in time in Hipster updates,
> to debug what change break what already working function of an OS.
> You always get "latest" Hipster , with no way of turning a step back
> and think if update was introducing more bugs of fixing existing ones.
>
> With Boot Environments on top of ZFS, we using and testing OI have
> best possible solutions for testing it is just that we don't use what
> we have to the full.
>
> ---> Good points. There was work on this effort, and maybe we need to
> have better checkpoints in place.
Only question is if "entire" locks to consolidations and consolidations
are not there,
there entire would lock to many packages then instead. (so that updating
"entire" gives exact state of packages for it).

> We'd like to support your Intel GPU-based laptop and desktop needs -
> and respect your opinions. Just that we made some hard decisions to
> get us to this point. Its nice to know faithful people users are using
> the OI distro for this long, so we'll work on resolving some of issues
> mentioned...
Thanks, I appreciate this words from you //, different needs could be
met under the same roof, if human resources we all posses are used in
the right direction.