[oi-dev] [HEADSUP] X server update in OpenIndiana Hipster

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Wed Feb 25 16:55:47 UTC 2015

On 02/25/2015 19:25, Nikola M wrote:

> There are 2 issues that arise from this:
> First is wither we should maintain our own patches of illumos (for KMS
> and other new things needed) because it seems every other distro
> maintain some of their own patches and later moves to push them
> upstream. (wither it is in form of applying patches to illumos before
> build)
> Upstream illumos is (understandably) conservative about accepting
> patches and if waiting for things to become available with upstream
> illumos, it could be long time waiting.
>
> Second, Intel drivers work on 20141010 so maybe there could be another
> update path from there, leaving drivers in place and updating only rest
> of the updates since then, so that testing of changes could continue.
> Maybe Call it hipster-2015-intel or something else, and update both
> -2015-intel and -2015 with same changes, so that testing of everything
> else could continue depending on used hardware?
> If that publisher could be devised, I could test it.
>
> There could also be a third path, leaving also from 20141010 toward
> updates that could make it upgradeable from /dev to it, that could
> include as much updates it can (and sort of going toward to some stable
> release).

If someone wants to support alternative branch (e.g. /hipster-stable or
/hipster-obsolete), he has to
a) create build server using old ISO (and not updating any package),
create new branch at 94c63b33550c4fee818b1423a16eb5c3a775681a, rebuild
repository and support alternative build server for this branch.
b) support this branch (at least backport security fixes from the main one)

Are there any volunteers?

As for patches for illumos-gate, we support them, but only small and
really necessary. Even if we got KMS patch (and we don't have it), it
should be adopted by illumos, as it's the only way to ensure that it's
properly supported.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,