[oi-dev] [HEADSUP] X server update in OpenIndiana Hipster

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:25:18 UTC 2015

On 02/24/15 11:04 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:

> Nikola, Ken.
>
> This time we seriously fucked up with intel drivers. Sorry, but I
> didn't have intel video adapter and couldn't test it. Intel 2.9.1
> driver wasn't working with new Xorg, so I updated it to 2.18, which is
> what is in XstreamOS and hoped that if it worked for them, it could
> work for us. Unfortunately, it wasn't true. I understand that KMS work
> will not land to illumos-gate in the nearest time. I think we can look
> at downgrading intel drivers to something like 2.9 (or even 2.6) which
> still supported UMS until KMS work is ready. I don't know how much
> work it'll take to make this crap work with new Xorg server, so no
> promises on time frame for now. Until then you can use vesa.

There are 2 issues that arise from this:
First is wither we should maintain our own patches of illumos (for KMS
and other new things needed) because it seems every other distro
maintain some of their own patches and later moves to push them
upstream. (wither it is in form of applying patches to illumos before build)
Upstream illumos is (understandably) conservative about accepting
patches and if waiting for things to become available with upstream
illumos, it could be long time waiting.

Second, Intel drivers work on 20141010 so maybe there could be another
update path from there, leaving drivers in place and updating only rest
of the updates since then, so that testing of changes could continue.
Maybe Call it hipster-2015-intel or something else, and update both
-2015-intel and -2015 with same changes, so that testing of everything
else could continue depending on used hardware?
If that publisher could be devised, I could test it.

There could also be a third path, leaving also from 20141010 toward
updates that could make it upgradeable from /dev to it, that could
include as much updates it can (and sort of going toward to some stable
release).