[oi-dev] Hipster News 2015W31: First issue !

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Tue Jul 28 10:22:32 UTC 2015

On 07/28/2015 12:06, Nikola M wrote:
> On 07/28/15 01:01 AM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
>> Hello,
>> this message is the first instance of the Hipster News Bi-weekly.
>>
>> Every two weeks, we will try to give a comprehensive overview of the
>> recent progress:
>
> Isn't newsletter suppose to be also sent on separate mailing list, too?
>
> It could be ok at first, for people that are already subscribed to
> existing lists
> to be automatically subscribed to the new newsletter lis
> , so that feedback could be on it's own mailing list.

Hello.

but I don't know who follows it.

> I also have thing about list name.
> It is Openindiana Hipster. unless someone thinks separating from
> Openindiana?

We ARE OpenIndiana. We build on OI sources, we use OI infrastructure. I
don't imagine why could one want to separate from OI.

> About current issue:
> -Where is OI Hipster encumbered repository located? (how to add and
> install it to current installs?)

http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-encumbered/

The repository still doesn't contain all packages from sfe-encumbered,
so we don't advise to change /sfe-encumbered to /hipster-encumbered yet.
But you can try what works for you. The most irritating part for users I
think is that /hipster-encumbered still misses gstreamer plugins.

> About sound, my volume setting stopped working recently (about month
> ago) in Hipster. I need to start sound preferences to set it up. Also to
> get full volume, I also need to set up "Built in speaker" to the higer
> level after every restart, but that is an ald issue.

Could you describe problem more precisely? I've just checked that gnome
volume control works as expected on up-to-date system.

> Isn't changing illumos.sh to reflect Perl update,
> could be addressed with automatic patching of copy of upstream illumos
> source code before building it?

These changes are already dealt with in oi-userland. They concern only
developers who build illumos-gate manually.

> Does OI Hipster or OI /dev have separate list of patches to apply to
> illumos, prior shipping?

Yes. OI /dev builds its own clone of illumos-gate, which contains
several patches, most notable vmxnet3s driver, some fixes to allow
smoother updates from OpenSolaris, some SMF fixes and branding changes.
  I think several of them can be easily upstreamed, several are not so
important.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,