[oi-dev] Hipster News 2015W31: First issue !

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 11:23:20 UTC 2015

On 07/28/15 12:22 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> Hello.

> but I don't know who follows it.

I suggest everyone following discuss and dev mailing lists to be
subscribed to announce mailing list.
In the future it would depend on personal choices and could be turned on
after optional user registration upon install.

but I don't know who took them away from listing?
And who is currently responsible for managing current OI mailing lists.
I tossed few ideas about forum/list integration, but haven't got time to
work on it yet.

>> About current issue:
>> -Where is OI Hipster encumbered repository located? (how to add and
>> install it to current installs?)
>
> http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-encumbered/
>
> The repository still doesn't contain all packages from sfe-encumbered,
> so we don't advise to change /sfe-encumbered to /hipster-encumbered
> yet. But you can try what works for you. The most irritating part for
> users I think is that /hipster-encumbered still misses gstreamer plugins.

This is great to know, so it could be hosted separately.
Yeah.

>> About sound, my volume setting stopped working recently (about month
>> ago) in Hipster. I need to start sound preferences to set it up. Also to
>> get full volume, I also need to set up "Built in speaker" to the higer
>> level after every restart, but that is an ald issue.
>>

> Could you describe problem more precisely? I've just checked that
> gnome volume control works as expected on up-to-date system.
Volume control in Gnome Pnel is not working for me (Intel 945/GM
chipset) and it used to work just fine from before a month.
If I start Sound preferences, Volume slider works then,
but it does not work on one I get with a left-click on Gnome-panel's.
"Build in speaker" is never on same level as before restart, if one
wants max volume, one always needs to bring Sound Preferences and slide
it up after restart. That is issue that is there for some time, 2 year
maybe.
>> Does OI Hipster or OI /dev have separate list of patches to apply to
>> illumos, prior shipping?
>
> Yes. OI /dev builds its own clone of illumos-gate, which contains
> several patches, most notable vmxnet3s driver, some fixes to allow
> smoother updates from OpenSolaris, some SMF fixes and branding
> changes.  I think several of them can be easily upstreamed, several
> are not so important

I am thinking, wouldn't Hipster need such thing, too?
So that some things that are not part of illumos, like LX zones, new
tehnologies from Joyent and elsewhere, that haven't reach mainline
illumos yet, but ae used on other distros,
be included in Hipster to be able to be used and tested?

That would require having clone of illumos-gate for Hipster, too,
partially because there could be the day when OI would need to support
it's releases and it can't be done without it's own maintained illumos
clone.

Sorry for possible English mispells , but Thunderbird from OI, also from
a more then month,
does not have spellcheck working anymore.