[oi-dev] [HEADSUP] X server update in OpenIndiana Hipster

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 5 12:59:00 UTC 2015

Jean-Pierre,
Power Mgt in BIOS
1. pfexec pkg install system/pciutils at 3.2.0,5.11-2014.0.1.0:20140528T080827Z2. Use setpci -s "<GPU PCI ID>" F4.B=## (where ## is BB=light, 77=med)
Usually you can get the function keys on your laptop to do this if programmed correctly (BIOS).
I set up VESA using 1280x1024 and 1920x1080 so it'll work if your setup allows it.
Thanks,Ken

     On Thursday, March 5, 2015 3:32 AM, Jean-Pierre André <jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

 Hi Nikola,

Nikola M wrote:

> On 03/ 3/15 04:31 PM, Jean-Pierre André wrote:
>> Hi Ken,
>>
>> ken mays via oi-dev wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The lockdown (pkg freeze) is needed mainly on the XServer and Intel
>>> driver.
>>> You need to maintain Intel driver's 2.6.3 or 2.9.1 for XServer 1.7.7.
>>
>> I assume you mean Intel driver 2.9.1 is compatible with
>> current Xorg server 1.7.7, but where is it to be found ?
>>
>> The latest hipster ships with 2.99.917 (not compatible
>> with Xorg) and older one shipped with 2.6.3 (probably
>> not compatible with my hardware). An intermediate
>> version compatible with both Xorg server and hardware
>> would be nice...
>
> Hi Jean-Pierre,
>
> Could you please also state what is your hardware, brand, model,
> configuration and grahics card/integrated graphics model (included in
> motherboard, chipset or inside cpu).

scanpci shows :

pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x02 function 0x00: vendor 0x8086 device 0x0116
  Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated
Graphics Controller
  CardVendor 0x103c card 0x1894 (Hewlett-Packard Company, Card unknown)

On Windows 7 the card is displayed as "Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000"

Note : https://www.illumos.org/issues/5670 (from Ken) mentions
"Intel HD Graphics: 2000-6000" to be supported by the Intel
driver not ported to OI, which gives hope for the future.

Xorg.0.log shows on Hipster (any 2014 versions) :
(II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) LoadModule: "vesa"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/amd64/vesa_drv.so
(II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) UnloadModule: "intel"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/amd64/intel_drv.so

So Xorg tries to use the Intel driver 2.6.3 and gives up.
The vesa driver is used instead, which is not bad (I need
no 3D). The only problem is that I cannot adjust the
brightness, and maximum brightness is unbearable, hence
my initial question.

> How it behaves in hipster-2014.1 and maybe booting from live 20141010
> DVD/USB?

Same result (no surprise, this is the same driver
and same xorg server).

> Idea of freezing X and intel driver is if you freeze it in a working
> state, before one updates rest of the system to hipster-2015 for testing
> for new bugs. (Works for me for older intel graphics, e.g. 945)

I also tested hipster 2015. The Intel driver fails
because of undefined symbol RegionEmptyData. This is
probably the signature of Xorg server being incompatible
with Intel driver 99.99.917

> If also in hipster-2014.1 you do not have your graphics working
> correctly (explain how it works, does it display with low
> resolution/VESA or something) you can then try installing/booting from
> live DVDs of older Openindiana /dev and Hipster release DVDs.

Unfortunately this computer is not old enough (about
two years and a half), and it has always fallen back
to using the vesa driver. This appears to just be
caused by an unsupported graphic model.

I have also tried to configure /etc/X11/xorg.conf to
reject the vesa driver. This has only led to having no
graphics at all.

> If with no previous release it worked for you, see that you report a bug
> on it, too.
> https://www.illumos.org/projects/openindiana/issues

The conclusion will be to wait for the new Xorg
server...

Ken mentioned an Intel driver 2.9.1 which I could test
if I found it somewhere.

For now, having a way to adjust the brightness through
the vesa driver would be enough.

Jean-Pierre