[oi-dev] [HEADSUP] X server update in OpenIndiana Hipster

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Fri Mar 6 09:33:22 UTC 2015

Hi Ken,

ken mays via oi-dev wrote:
> Jean-Pierre,
>
> Power Mgt in BIOS
> 1. pfexec pkg install
> system/pciutils at 3.2.0,5.11-2014.0.1.0:20140528T080827Z
> <http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-2015/info/0/system%2Fpciutils%403.2.0%2C5.11-2014.0.1.0%3A20140528T080827Z>
> 2. Use setpci -s "<GPU PCI ID>" F4.B=## (where ## is BB=light, 77=med)

Unfortunately this has no effect :

$ pfexec setpci -s 0:2.0 F4.B=AA
setpci: Cannot find any working access method.
[oindiana at openindiana oindiana]$ su
Password:
# setpci -d 8086:116 F4.B=AA
# setpci -d 8086:116 F4.B=77
# setpci -s 0:2.0 F4.B=77

I have also tried these commands before starting X.
The brightness register is probably not at F4.

On Linux (and Intel driver), it is a two-byte register
which can be accessed through :
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-LVDS-1/intel_backlight

Does this location give a clue ?

> Usually you can get the function keys on your laptop to do this if
> programmed correctly (BIOS).

Unfortunately, they do not (with any OS).

Jean-Pierre