[oi-dev] FF 43b6 integration

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 14:26:04 UTC 2015

Hi,
I vote for integration as there is no critical regression, while on the
other side security issues are addressed and broader testing is important.

On Debian stable and testing, in the past months, I have seen Iceweasel
behave equally bad regarding Flash and crashes on exit (leading to
zombified process), the same applies to Icedove for the latter issue.
This is not a justification, of course, but considering our resources,
until we reach a stage when a release schedule is possible, consolidating
oi-userland and facilitating testing (when no critical regression exists)
should be a priority.

In an ideal time-unlimited world I would of course otherwise agree with
Nikola. ;)
He makes a valid point though about taking care of keeping /dev -> /hipster
upgrades possible.

Best regards,

Aurelien

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 8:33 PM, Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> wrote:

> Hello.
> I'd like to ask for your opinions. Thanks to Martin we have new FF version
> (https://github.com/pyhalov/oi-userland/tree/firefox/components/firefox).
>
> There is one issue with new version:
> - first of all, plugin wrapper sometimes crashes with Adobe Flash Player
> 10, it's not random, it crashes on some specific applications and
> operations,
> and it's a regression.
>
> However, it's much more recent and has a lot of security fixes compared to
> our FF. Also a lot of sites require fresh FF. Google docs started
> complaining
> about our FF version. I've tested icedtea plugin and it works with new FF.
> Also Adobe Flash player 10 works with a lot of flash applications.
> Shumway is supported by new FF, but it's not ideal, a lot of sites are not
> supported. BTW, I've seen that several sites switched from flash to HTML5
> players with new FF.
>
> So, the question is, should we update default OI Hipster FF to this
> version? I'd say yes. What do you think?
>
> --
> System Administrator of Southern Federal University Computer Center

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings