[oi-dev] FF 43b6 integration

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 19:31:37 UTC 2015

On 11/27/15 05:05 PM, ken mays via oi-dev wrote:
> We agreed that we could move to FF 43.x (now version 43.0b7 today) to resolve many rendering issues and migrate to the next ESR release or provide an additional package of the current 38.4.0 ESR release.
>

> Usually, if you need an older browser you can uninstall a current browser and install the old one (or place it in another directory - which I've done for years). The Oracle provided browser releases allows users to go back and do this (or we can support specific FF releases in IPS).
>
> So technically, we could push forward with FF 43b7 today and then provide a FF 38.4.0esr package as well for those
> users that need/want it (as we do something similar with GCC or NVIDIA packaging).
>
> The other issues like migration issues is something we document to alleviate those issues with developer support teams. This is standard software porting practice.
>
> That way, you CAN still have your cake - while just eating some of it too!
Ok ship it. Let's move along with it.

I am just uneasy with many people with existing FF profiles reporting
core dumps on exit.
It seems like it will be there for some time but at least there will be
more people to figure it out.

If I can transfer remembered passwords, history and bookmarks
  (I made it bringing passwords from FF24 by selecting
signon.importedFromSqlite to default (right click->reset) in
about:config) to new profile , but it seems that I need a new FF profile
not to have it dump cor eon exit.

I did not yet figure why new empty profile has no problems on exit and
old FF profile makes it core.

In meantime, I ruled out that Addons are probably not the primary cause
because sometimes it even does not core on exit and sometimes, with same
addons , dumps core (starting->closing->core dump)

So I'll forget about updating profile
if I can easily move History, Bookmarks and Passwords, providing their
format is updated.
*Please, everyone let's figure out how to easy migrate our Firefox
profile to empty profile*
so we can live with new FF.

Actually new FF lives fine with existing FF profile,
only problem now is dumping core on exit and I don't know yet what in
existing profile might trigger it in new FF.

And dumping core on every program exit I could live for short time but
not for long.