[oi-dev] Thunderbird 38.4.0 integration

Мартин Бохниг opensxce at mail.ru
Sun Nov 29 20:20:24 UTC 2015

 > What I wanted to say was: I _praise_ Sun for maintaining both ways -- while having had the policy of preferring Studio over gcc
> (unless in a few cases where Studio meant to much porting hassle, wasn't mesa in your excellent gate such a case?
> {your/ the x11 group's x11 gate design is a 100 times cleaner than the userland gate, with a smarter system of Makefiles
> and touches <especially in terms of incremental builds>}), gcc was also supported by gate after gate, then almost all gates

Ahh, what I actually wanted to add: While the JDS gate that you referenced (now "Solaris Desktop Gate") also had a unique feature set and many goodies (such as supporting both SVR4 xor IPS creation as alternative parallel choice until September 2010) or the slilent build mode versus verbose build mode (and extra debug shell in case of problems) and the summary html build log file etc etc etc, as far as I recall it did not depend on that Python pollution for simply building the gate.
And unlike with userland it doesn't easily fall into errors thinking some subdir which failed was already built fine.

Was much better than userland, but not as good as the X11 gate (with the outstanding modular configuration design).

At the time I had proposed a few times (but who would have listened), but just wished, all other gates would adopt the x11 gate's build system.
I respect Alexander very much for having mastered the userland IPS repo creation horror.
It is more complexity than some average end users can probably imagine. That's why I proposed the introduction of a grants/credits system for "contributors" and "core contributors" .

That would give the proper honor to the 10 or so  real contributors here  :)

Ok, rgds. %martin