[oi-dev] Thunderbird 38.4.0 integration

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Nov 30 18:34:51 UTC 2015

On 11/29/15 11:52 AM, Мартин Бохниг wrote:
> gcc was also supported by gate after gate, then almost all gates.
>
> Oracle broke with that design for no reason

[Before reading the following, please remember the always present disclaimer
that I am not an Oracle spokesman and cannot speak for Oracle, so if anyone
quotes this as "Oracle says..." you are lying and jeopardizing my ability to
continue being here.]

An obvious reason was that the time & effort could be better spent elsewhere
once Oracle was no longer following Sun's goals of making a complete open
source OS that could be built with free tools such as gcc & ported to platforms
that Studio didn't support.

Similarly, the commit I pointed to, in which the Oracle builds of Firefox switch
from applying a ton of patches just to get Studio to build to a smaller number
of patches & using gcc instead is also about choosing how to prioritize effort,
and deciding that for Firefox, the benefits of building with Studio were not
worth the substantial costs (including slower & more painful updates to new
upstream releases to rebase all those patches to the new upstream code).

That publishing a recipe to build Firefox for Solaris with gcc is also helpful
to OI is just a happy bonus side effect for OI.

> BTW, did you see my request for help with gfxp_alloc_kernel_space() ?
> I really only need to find out, if my local implementation is wrong (causing the
> TRAP on S11.0 and Illumos, while working fine on 11.1, 11.2 and 11.3), or if
> there is any other reason.

I did, but I have no idea.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure if any of the small
handful of people in the world who know about gfx_private are on this mailing
list or if they were checking their email over the 4-day holiday weekend we
just had in the US (Thursday was a public holiday for Thanksgiving, Friday
was a bonus day off at Oracle and many other non-retail companies).

	-alan-