[oi-dev] Openindiana hipster source code on OI servers to fulfill licensing requirements.

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 19:38:38 UTC 2015

On 10/12/15 07:09 PM, Bruce Lilly wrote:
> listing source repositories (
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Source+Repositories ) appears to be
> quite out-of-date, so even if it were possible to easily find the
> source there, it might not be
> what's actually used.  Therefore I gave up trying to look (ever wonder
> why there are so few
> developers working on OI...?).
illumos is using Github and OI hipster is on Github too,
and source files are downloaded from upstream (,patched?) and built in
Jenkins.
See: hipster.openindiana.org,
hipster.openindiana.org:8080

It is a good question weither Oi got to have it's own source code
repositories to match every Oi hipster 'snapshot' release. it does
because source code distribution must be provided together with binary
distribution, per licensing requirements of free software.

It is not only convenience to have all sources also available inside the
OI project servers
(like having replicated copy of all source on OI GIT servers or updated
source archives),
but it is an _obligation_ to provide readable sources for _every_ binary
distributed by OI,
so just pointing out to external http link for sources is not a solution
to fullfill free software licensing requirements, because obligation to
provide source is on distributing party, therefore OI, not external
source on internet that is maybe available and maybe not.

Crew (Alp is most active and keeping it up together with others)
is on #oi-dev and #openindiana on irc.Freenodenet IRC channel, so feel
free to drop buy. :)