[oi-dev] Openindiana hipster source code on OI servers to fulfill licensing requirements.

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Oct 14 23:08:47 UTC 2015

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015, Nikola M wrote:

> It is a good question weither Oi got to have it's own source code
> repositories to match every Oi hipster 'snapshot' release. it does because
> source code distribution must be provided together with binary distribution,
> per licensing requirements of free software.

I don't recall seeing a definition for how source code must be
distributed in any free software license.  If the server is open for
all and the source is properly managed (e.g. clear release notes and
repository tags and or branches), is that necessarily inferior to
tarballs provided by ftp or http?

There does need to be a precise way to obtain the exact sources used
to build any binary release and it should be documented.

Regardless, directories of tarballs seem best since they are easiest
to copy and therefore less likely to be lost.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn