[oi-dev] Openindiana hipster source code on OI servers to fulfill licensing requirements.

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 07:04:48 UTC 2015

On 10/15/15 01:08 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2015, Nikola M wrote:
>>
>> It is a good question weither Oi got to have it's own source code
>> repositories to match every Oi hipster 'snapshot' release. it does
>> because source code distribution must be provided together with
>> binary distribution, per licensing requirements of free software.
>
> I don't recall seeing a definition for how source code must be
> distributed in any free software license.  If the server is open for
> all and the source is properly managed (e.g. clear release notes and
> repository tags and or branches), is that necessarily inferior to
> tarballs provided by ftp or http?
It is true, but also it gives obligation of biinaries distributor to
_provide_ sources with it's release.
The most viable to ensure you can provide source for binaries is to have
copy of exact source from whom binaries are made - on your own project
server.

If you are obligated to fullfil obligation it is not fulfilled with
pointing at someone else and posting a link is not the same is giving
the source on request.
If source repositories on OI servers and tagging before update on both
packages and sources side, are part of OIregular process, that can be
efortlessly done with an ease.

Also putting external sources link is not a bad thing but the point is
that source is available locally on OI servers and those are 2 things.
if one maybe wants to lower badwith requirements on server would think
just putting a link is easy. But if that is done on every build, it puts
strain and bandwith reqirement on every upstream package available on
http, that could filter OI form downloading because not having it on
local servers.

> There does need to be a precise way to obtain the exact sources used
> to build any binary release and it should be documented.
It is exactly the point and that is why locking version updates with
entire , having local sources and tagging them in same way is what
solution is.
One can that way get exact binaries state at exact moment, that makes
testing easier and pinpoint the moment bug(s) are introduced and at the
same time solve source availablility for every package release.

> Regardless, directories of tarballs seem best since they are easiest
> to copy and therefore less likely to be lost.
I think that if current build process uses upstream binaries,
then it can continue by building from the copy on OI servers instead and
using GIT on OI servers for build and tagging source before publishing
packages on sucsess build.