[oi-dev] Openindiana hipster source code on OI servers to fulfill licensing requirements.

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 07:19:52 UTC 2015

On 10/15/15 01:10 AM, Hugo wrote:
> Well put.

Please respond below quotes on public lists. even I make mistakes when
posting from Gmail's web interface, sorry.

As already explained, obligation per license to provide source with
binaries is on distributing party.
When distributing aby built binay, one becomes distributing party and is
obligated to provide source.
Providing link (that might work or not) is not the same as providing the
source.

Most viable solution to provide source (remember you are opbligated to
provide source for every upstream package and patches with it for
_every_ updated binary)
is to have local copy and build from it. It is just the only sane way to
always provide sources for packages at any time (and to at any given
time fulfill licensing obligation of providing sources with binaries).

It is just much easier to fulfill source availablility obligations if
build process itself is done with them in mind.