[oi-dev] Mate is here (as well as new test ISOs)

Michael Kruger makruger2000 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 01:51:39 UTC 2016

On 08/16/16 11:10 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> Hello, people.
>
> I wanted to announce availability of Mate some time ago, but there
> were some issues, especially when I tried to build Mate Live CD.

Hi Alp,

I ran into some issues writing the OI_GUI_experimental.usb when using
the old 'usbcopy' script found in the slimsource repo.

See: http://pastebin.com/ZxxH6Pfe

Here is another where it's working correctly (but with
OI-hipster-gui-20160421.usb from the April 2016 release):
http://pastebin.com/cABQ92t0

And I think I might know why....

I just finished reading the Distrowatch news blurb about your Mate
announcement on www.openindiana.org.
So, I went and read it and learned we can now use plain old DD to
created these without the need for the 1G/2G headers.

Based on this new method for writing images to USB drives, I presume the
old usbcopy script will no longer work.
And I suppose the old Windows based OpenSolaris USB Creator tool will no
longer work either.

If this is true, then would it be safe to assume generic Windows and
Linux USB creation tools should now work?

Thanks,

Michael