[oi-dev] Mate is here (as well as new test ISOs)

Michael Kruger makruger2000 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 02:23:07 UTC 2016

On 08/17/16 09:51 PM, Michael Kruger wrote:
> On 08/16/16 11:10 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
>> Hello, people.
>>
>> I wanted to announce availability of Mate some time ago, but there
>> were some issues, especially when I tried to build Mate Live CD.
>
> Hi Alp,
>
> I ran into some issues writing the OI_GUI_experimental.usb when using
> the old 'usbcopy' script found in the slimsource repo.
>
> See: http://pastebin.com/ZxxH6Pfe
>
> Here is another where it's working correctly (but with
> OI-hipster-gui-20160421.usb from the April 2016 release):
> http://pastebin.com/cABQ92t0
>
> And I think I might know why....
>
> I just finished reading the Distrowatch news blurb about your Mate
> announcement on www.openindiana.org.
> So, I went and read it and learned we can now use plain old DD to
> created these without the need for the 1G/2G headers.
>
> Based on this new method for writing images to USB drives, I presume
> the old usbcopy script will no longer work.
> And I suppose the old Windows based OpenSolaris USB Creator tool will
> no longer work either.
>
> If this is true, then would it be safe to assume generic Windows and
> Linux USB creation tools should now work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Small update to this.....

The following command worked for writing the USB image to my flash drive:

sudo dd if=OI_MATE_experimental.usb of=/dev/rdsk/c7t0d0p0 bs=1024k

It wrote the image and booted on my thinkpad just fine.

One other thing to mention though....Gparted doesn't look to be happy
with Mate. It's now core dumping.

Michael