[oi-dev] Mate is here (as well as new test ISOs)

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 11:48:51 UTC 2016

Adam,

Why prompt for language when there's only one option?

> I think this has to do with the fact that we didn’t modify installer to
> reflect this. Do you think we should ship more languages or it’s fine as it
> is (+ language selection screen in that case)?

It just seems odd. I know in Tribblix I removed the prompt because I
*know* there's only 1 choice. Bit trickier here because you're presumably
also using the installer in cases where there would be multiple choices.

> Calling it minimal doesn't quite seem right. It's got bits of X, tcl, tk,
> cairo,
> GL, berkelydb, mariadb, apr, apr-util, gdbm, graphite, openblas, cdrtools,
> 2 copies of python, ruby, fortran, apache. One or two bits I can imagine
> being pulled in via dependencies, but a lot of this seems wrong.
>
> Doesn't have the man command (although it does have a lot of man
> pages). I would expect to be able to read man pages
>

> Alexander and I worked on the minimal list and we put in there we though
> was needed. The list is contained here: https://github.com/
> OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/6bb1bbacebdf2ae843ff749275ab6d
> 9d45a81ad3/components/meta-packages/install-types/includes/minimal

So I had a quick eyeball of this, and the following notes:

developer/dtrace/toolkit - not minimal, and has it been kept
sufficiently up to date so that the scripts work?

Do we need any/all of the fibre-channel stuff? Or infiniband?

storage/svm - does anybody use this?

system/management/intel-amt - how many people use this?

system/library/storage/ima/header-ima - headers? (generally, I would
expect a minimal install to not include any development packages)

system/install/tests - tests?

driver/network/ce - really?

media/cdrtools - not minimal

But I suspect the real issue is that the role of such a minimal iso hasn't
yet been decided, so it's not clear what its target audience is.

> I suppose the most of those packages where dragged in via dependencies.
> For packages:
>
> - runtime/python-26 it is used by pkg/illumos-gate and unless pkg in
> OmniOS is updated (we spoke to Dan about it already, but is busy with LX,
> so we can’t drop the package. Some illumos-gate consumers also need python
> 2.6)
> - runtime/python-27 is provided for the userland and it also used
> explicitly by the userland.
>
> We tried to minize the amount of packages depending on python-26, but the
> packages coming of out illumos-gate are the main consumers, so there isn’t
> really another right now.
>
> system/man was not omitted on purpose, I added it to the file list now.
>

> We'd like to hear your opinion, which images are necessary for next
>> snapshot (supposedly, 2016.10). We think that minimal one, Mate and Gnome
>> one are enough. We are going to avoid delivering Gnome ISO image after next
>> snapshot (in 2017).
>>

> Presumably minimal is the new "text" iso.
>

> We don’t consider it to be a replacement for text as of this moment. It’s
> just a much stripped down versions of text installer and in the future,
> text installer might be deprecated. However, this hasn’t been decided yet.
>
> Cheers,
> Adam

-Peter Tribble