[oi-dev] Sun SSH has gone

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Aug 24 13:45:56 UTC 2016

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016, Nikola M wrote:

> On 08/23/16 07:40 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Aug 2016, Nikola M wrote:
>>>
>>> Only problem I have seen very recently (under a month) is that it takes
>>> quite some time to log into other OI machine from laptop, after I
>>> started using that machine again as a router for wireless connection.
>>> For some reason, i get ssh prompt faster, if I firstly log into the
>>> console, but that could be for a number a reasons.
>>
>> Is it possible that ident protocol (to identify the user id on the
>> machine doing the connecting) is being used?
>
> For some reason I somehow got some routing rules active form previous
> configuration, even after 'route flush'. Adding route for another ip
> subnet somehow made ti log in faster, even still slow, but within minute.

This sounds like a network configuration problem and perhaps ICMP
redirects are fixing the routing.

> I think those are defaults in OI, if I am right, where in
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config  : IgnoreRhosts yes
> RhostsAuthentication no  , RSAAuthentication yes

This is different than IDENT protocol.  Another potential source of
strange delays has been DNS reverse lookups, with the delay being
temporarily cured by caching the negative result.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn