[oi-dev] Updated Graphics DRM support for OI

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Wed Dec 7 14:29:26 UTC 2016

On 11/27/16 07:33 PM, Gordon Ross wrote:
> We have some new graphics direct rendering manager (DRM) code to
> announce for OpenIndiana/hipster.  This version should work better
> on systems where hipster currently shows only a black screen.
>
> If you'd like to try out the new DRM code, you can create a
> (temporary) testing boot environment as described here:
> https://www.illumos.org/projects/gfx-drm/wiki/
>  How_to_create_a_BE_running_the_new_DRM_code
>
> Alternatively, you can download and boot the ISO images here:
>   http://dlc-int.openindiana.org/hipster/20161124/
> and see how it works for you without installing.
>
> Thanks to Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> for both the ISO images
> and the instructions for creating a test BE.
>
> Please report issues with this code on this tracker:
>   https://www.illumos.org/projects/gfx-drm/issues
>
> There's one fairly significant known issue (so far) which is that
> the DRM driver does not restore VGA text mode when Xorg does its
> last close of a DRM driver handle.

Hello.
I've prepared new test images with updated gfx-drm code.
They can be found here: http://dlc-int.openindiana.org/hipster/20161207/

As far as I know, this code supports all hardware, supported by current
OI intel kms driver, plus some older hardware. Several bugs found during
initial testing were fixed.

There are currently 2 known issues with this code (
https://www.illumos.org/projects/gfx-drm/issues ):
- it still doesn't restore VGA text mode on Xorg exit;
- users reported seeing 'WARNING: [drm:ivybridge_irq_handler:1150]
Unclaimed register before interrupt' warning in /var/adm/messages .

If you find more, please, report.

At this stage all necessary illumos-gate changes have landed to the main
tree, so http://pkg.openindiana.org/drm-testing/ repository contains
only 6 packages from gfx-drm consolidation. As always, if you install
them, don't forget to create test BE to go back to /hipster.

This is likely the last test ISOs to allow you trying this code before
integrating it to OI.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,