[oi-dev] SMBIOS testing needed...

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Tue Dec 13 19:47:57 UTC 2016

Reposting from illumos developer list, sorry if you have seen it already:

Hi!

While working on https://www.illumos.org/rb/r/284/ <https://www.illumos.org/rb/r/284/>, I figured I do not have any way to test this stuff… So I did ask qemu to provide me SMB3 64-bit entry point and got the loader code verified at least on qemu.

So I couldn’t resist the challenge, and also did create https://www.illumos.org/rb/r/291/ <https://www.illumos.org/rb/r/291/> and did test it on qemu. However, as nice as the qemu is, real hardware is still not tested, so I’m asking for some help there:)

So I did generate iso and usb images and set them up on http://80.235.90.220 <http://80.235.90.220/>  and would like to ask to test…

The SMB3 64-bit entry point can be provided by BIOS/UEFI systems, the UEFI boot is most obvious for testing, the steps to verify are:

1. boot with UEFI enabled (depends on bios settings/boot device selection)
2. press esc on loader menu to get ok prompt
3. enter: configuration

you should get efi-systab info, and if you see SMBIOS3 entry, your system has 64-bit SMBIOS entry point.

Note you can dump the content of the entry point from ok prompt by entering:

address_from_configuration_command 0x1f dump # for SMBIOS3 entry the length is 0x18

4. enter: show
and scroll to smbios.* entries, you should see entries and version 3.0.

5. enter: boot

(note those images do not have xhci included)

and hopefully you should get to the point to enter terminal and get illumos prompt - you do not need to install it, just get to “live” mode by selecting terminal session after language and keyboard layout dialogs.

from illumos:

check output of hostid, prtdiag and finally:

smbios -e  # should list entry point info, _SM_ is for 32bit 2.1+ entry point, _SM3_ is for 64-bit
smbios      # should list smbios data (using libsmbios interface)
smbios [-e] /dev/xsvc  # should also list smbios info (but using alternate method via memory mapping).

Note you can also check the loader environment from os prompt: tr ‘\0’ ‘\n’ < /system/boot/environment

thanks,
toomas