[oi-dev] Update on XNV and JDS consolidation migrations

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 01:09:27 UTC 2016

Hi,
since not everyone follows what happens in oi-userland I figured that I
could give a short description of the work regarding consolidations.

As you know, one important milestone is to be able to build OpenIndiana
using oi-userland, which required migrating consolidations: the JDS (Java
Desktop System) and XNV (X11) consolidations are basically the last on the
list.
I decided to spend some time this week end to move forward on this track.

Some time ago I listed packages which needed love:

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Migration+of+consolidations+to+oi-userland

I came up with a list of 124 packages: some of them are obsolete, some of
them are closed source and the rest is largely divided between JDS, XNV and
some localization packages.

In short:

- about 20 packages for JDS, 15 still relevant out of which 11 are migrated.

- about 74 packages for XNV, 70 still relevant out of which 52 are migrated.

- XNV components were based on the x-S12 tree from the X Window System for
Solaris Project at Oracle:

https://java.net/projects/solaris-x11/sources/x-s12-clone/

and since this latter consists of modules delivering possibly several
components, we actually have about 90 components to be added to oi-userland
right now.

- there are 24 components left for packaging in x-S12, some of them not
present in OI, I do not know if some of them are irrelevant:

./accessx
./appres
./build-tools
./compat-links
./drm
./dsession
./editres
./fbconfig
./intel-gpu-tools
./libepoxy (some fixes needed)
./libxkbcommon (some fixes needed)
./libxshmfence
./listres
./makedepend
./rasterfile
./sun-aliases
./synergy
./transset
./viewres
./workspace-patterns
./xorg-cf-files
./xorg-docs
./xorg-sgml-doctools
./xserver-common

and about 70 font-related packages which I do not know if they are all
meaningful:

./dejavu-fonts-ttf
./font-adobe-100dpi
./font-adobe-75dpi
./font-adobe-utopia-100dpi
./font-adobe-utopia-75dpi
./font-adobe-utopia-type1
./font-alias
./font-arabic-misc
./font-bh-100dpi
./font-bh-75dpi
./font-bh-lucidatypewriter-100dpi
./font-bh-lucidatypewriter-75dpi
./font-bh-ttf
./font-bh-type1
./font-bitstream-100dpi
./font-bitstream-75dpi
./font-bitstream-type1
./font-cronyx-cyrillic
./font-cursor-misc
./font-daewoo-misc
./font-dec-misc
./font-ibm-type1
./font-isas-misc
./font-jis-misc
./font-micro-misc
./font-misc-cyrillic
./font-misc-ethiopic
./font-misc-meltho
./font-misc-misc
./font-mutt-misc
./font-schumacher-misc
./font-screen-cyrillic
./font-sony-misc
./font-sun-misc
./font-winitzki-cyrillic
./font-xfree86-type1
./google-droid-fonts
./liberation-fonts-ttf
./ttf-bitstream-vera

- the branch is located here:

https://github.com/alarcher/oi-userland/commits/x11-S12

A few packages (e.g xrandr and xclipboard) could not be built yet because I
could not bypass x-incorporation even after disabling facet.version-lock on
components and facet.require on the incorporation.

If you are interested in working on some of the remaining components, your
help will be very appreciated and warmly thanked :)

The next stage would certainly consist in reviewing the components and
testing X libraries one by one and in the correct order using this branch.
Best regards,

Aurelien

--
---