[oi-dev] Update on XNV and JDS consolidation migrations

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Feb 9 16:40:15 UTC 2016

On 02/ 8/16 11:12 PM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 09/02/2016 02:13, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> On 02/ 7/16 05:09 PM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
>>> - there are 24 components left for packaging in x-S12, some of them
>>> not present
>>> in OI, I do not know if some of them are irrelevant:

>>> and about 70 font-related packages which I do not know if they are all
>>> meaningful:
>>
>> Most are only meaningful to older programs which use the old X11
>> bitmaps, not to modern GNOME/KDE/etc. software.  The main exceptions are:
>>
>>> ./dejavu-fonts-ttf
>>> ./google-droid-fonts
>>> ./liberation-fonts-ttf
>>
>> Those are TrueType fonts useful to modern desktop users.
>>
>>      -alan-
>
> And please keep ./ttf-bitstream-vera, which is one of the
> most appealing modern ttf font, especially when using the
> slanted form with very small pointsize.

I'd not listed it since DejaVu is pretty much a superset of Vera (they started
with Vera and added characters for additional locales, but had to change the
name to comply with the trademark restrictions in the Vera license terms), so
I didn't think both were needed, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have both.

http://dejavu-fonts.org/

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com