[oi-dev] Updated OpenIndiana FAQ

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Sat Jan 30 19:50:49 UTC 2016

Hi.

Michael Kruger писал 30.01.2016 21:16:
> Hello All,
>
> I have taken the original OpenIndiana FAQ from the website and wiki,
> and created an updated draft ready for your review.
>
> You'll find it here: http://hub.openindiana.ninja/?q=content/faq
>
> Please take a few moments to review it and kindly provide your
> feedback so it can be further refined and improved.

Regarding OI license. OI consists from multiple components, each of them
has separate license.
OI build reciepts and software, developed specifically for OI usually
has CDDL license.

As for Linux, I'd avoid saying that it's clone of Minix. Let's leave
something more neutral,
like "was written from scratch to be like Unix" or something similar.

I wouldn't say that Open-ZFS project is now the upstream for
illumos-gate's ZFS capabilities.
Perhaps, it's better to skip this sentence.

Alan is correct, ABI is broken only for C++ programs. I still sometimes
run Adobe Flash player
for Solaris.

As for "In spite of all these changes, most of the operating system
continues to be built from source code that Sun/Oracle either previously
released, or continues to make available, under the CDDL open-source
license". Yes, we build OS from sources, derived from source published
by Sun and borrow huge amount of code
from open Oracle consolidations. But we don't build from source code
"that Sun/Oracle either previously released, or continues to make
available". There's a difference.
We are not CentOS, which can just change logos, do s/RHEL/CentOS/g and
rebuild src.rpm. For example we still claim to support 32bit systems. (I
hope, we'll drop this support soon :)).

IIRC, Illumos Foundation  (as legal entity) is dead. Correct me if I'm
wrong.

"If your legacy installation is older than oi-dev-151a8, you are
encouraged to perform a clean install."
I'm not sure about this. 151a7 should be able to update to Hipster
without issues AFAICT.

BTW, can we use echelog to log oi-documentation channel? It also should
be mentioned on the wiki.

Thank you for looking on the FAQ and documentation.
---