[oi-dev] Possible "Bug" when running OpenIndiana in KVM

Theodore Seán Tubbs theodoretubbs at firemail.cc
Tue Jul 5 22:54:41 UTC 2016

I noticed after doing a fresh install of OpenIndiana Hipster GIO
20160421, I booted into OpenIndiana just fine, then proceeded to do
updates, `pkg update`. After updates are done installing I pressed the
`shutdown` button and do a reboot to the new ZFS root pool, skipping the
bootloader, OpenIndiana boots just fine again. Though later that day
when I turned the VM on once again, and chose the root pool with updates
(`openindiana-1`) everything seemed for a while to proceed as normal.
Though after a while I just got a blank black screen with nothing on it,
upon doing a hard reboot of the VM and choosing the original root pool
(`OI Hipster`) everything went fine. I then again used the `shutdown`
button to choose the other root pool and skip the bootloader, and
OpenIndiana loaded just fine. Thought I'd bring this to your attention.

To summarize:

1 Boot fresh install
2 Do updates
3 Restart and skip bootloader to new root pool with updates
4 Shutdown VM
5 Turn VM back on, choose the new root pool
6 Seems to load up, but I only get a black screen
7 Boot into original root pool
8 Repeat step 3
9 I'm in the new root pool just fine.