[oi-dev] Gstreamer 1.0

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sat May 7 15:12:14 UTC 2016

Hello,
I would like to raise a question on the desktop-side: belated migration to
Gstreamer 1.0.
While it "just works", the old API has been deprecated for a while and with
the coming modernization with MATE 1.14 this is time to think about it.

Several remarks from my reading and trials:
- Gstreamer 0.10 and 1.0 are not exclusive and can be installed together so
smooth transition is possible if we want it.
- SunAudio plugin does not build against 1.0 as the entire mixer interface
was dropped and not replaced.
- Gstreamer 1.0 may not be necessarily 32bit friendly out of the box in the
future as compiled Gstreamer 1.0 + plugins show integer overflow on my
machine: how about moving to 64bit ?
- Enlightenment does not support 0.10 anymore.

The questions are:
- when should we schedule the migration to 1.0 ? before MATE or together
with ?
- should this come with moving to 64bit for multimedia applications ?

I would see something like:
- update pulseaudio to 8.0,
- update gstreamer to 1.0,
- base the MATE testing on that.