[oi-dev] Gstreamer 1.0

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Sat May 7 16:16:28 UTC 2016

Aurélien Larcher писал 07.05.2016 18:12:
> Hello,
> I would like to raise a question on the desktop-side: belated migration
> Gstreamer 1.0.
> While it "just works", the old API has been deprecated for a while and
> with
> the coming modernization with MATE 1.14 this is time to think about it.
>
> Several remarks from my reading and trials:
> - Gstreamer 0.10 and 1.0 are not exclusive and can be installed
> together so
> smooth transition is possible if we want it.
> - SunAudio plugin does not build against 1.0 as the entire mixer
> interface
> was dropped and not replaced.
> - Gstreamer 1.0 may not be necessarily 32bit friendly out of the box in
> the
> future as compiled Gstreamer 1.0 + plugins show integer overflow on my
> machine: how about moving to 64bit ?
> - Enlightenment does not support 0.10 anymore.
>
> The questions are:
> - when should we schedule the migration to 1.0 ? before MATE or
> together
> with ?
> - should this come with moving to 64bit for multimedia applications ?
>
> I would see something like:
> - update pulseaudio to 8.0,
> - update gstreamer to 1.0,
> - base the MATE testing on that.

Hi. I think we have to test updating gstreamer before looking at mate,
in this case we'll have less dependencies to rebuild.
However, integer overflow on 32-bit apps sounds terrible and is a
blocker, I think we'll have a dozen of issues when try
to rebuild all current multimedia apps to be 64-bit. Also note, that
such general framework as gstreamer should
be available for both archs.

---