[oi-dev] demonstration docs website

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sun May 1 14:45:03 UTC 2016

Hello !
That looks very promising !

> I would like you have been doing this not alone, but within Openindiana
> community and cooperation with others, with announcing it here.

Oh but this has been the opportunity of several discussion on irc and by
email.
I think the idea of a proof of concept before involving more people is not
a problem per se.

> So this should be hosted on openindiana.org.
> and "© The OpenIndiana Project 2016 - All Rights Reserved" is invalid and
> is not valid open documentation license, even someone could argue it
> actually represent accepting contributor agreement, but I suggest to also
> use standard documentation license so it could be reused like Opensolaris
> docs can be used because of that.
> There is also reason why Opensolaris docs are made in XML using XML
> editing applications, so we can easily have html and PDF versions of any
> docs, using existing tools.
>
> You should check and consult with someone before moving with this. Doing
> it alone is never good as it doesn't represent OI as a community product
> and more heads are always smarted then one. :)

Initiatives should be welcome and then how the community can embrace them
is another question.

In any case, the initial questions were:
- review existing documentation systems from BSD and Linux distributions
- come up with a process lowering the barrier for contributions
- allow conversion between different formats
- minimize the "man/hour" cost of deployment and need for maintenance

IMHO Michael's solution satisfies all the requirements.
When/If/As soon as the proposed solution is considered technically, the
considerations that you raise (like migration to OI infrastructure) should
be addressed in a next stage but are orthogonal to current proposal.