[oi-dev] demonstration docs website

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon May 2 05:48:12 UTC 2016

On 05/ 1/16 04:45 PM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:

>      I would like you have been doing this not alone, but within
>     Openindiana community and cooperation with others, with announcing
>     it here.
>

> Oh but this has been the opportunity of several discussion on irc and
> by email.
> I think the idea of a proof of concept before involving more people is
> not a problem per se.

Involving more people in a process that results in something with lower
quality then we currently have , while not accepting OI's documentation
licensing does not qualify as OI's project.

> In any case, the initial questions were:
> - review existing documentation systems from BSD and Linux distributions
> - come up with a process lowering the barrier for contributions
> - allow conversion between different formats
> - minimize the "man/hour" cost of deployment and need for maintenance
>
> IMHO Michael's solution satisfies all the requirements.
> When/If/As soon as the proposed solution is considered technically,
> the considerations that you raise (like migration to OI
> infrastructure) should be addressed in a next stage but are orthogonal
> to current proposal.

Next stage is almost always never.
If documentation is not on OI's infrastructure it is not OI's documentation.
If it does not use Oi's documentation licensing, it's not OI documentation.
If it is not contributed with contribution agreement , it is not OI
documentation.
If it is done without review and some plan of priorities, it's not OI's
documentation.

- We are not BSD nor Linux and looking at them could help in some extent
in the future, but we have illumos and Opensolaris documentation to
maintain and extend, not to re-invent new wheels here.
- Lowering the involvement process should include people in the
community, and not supporting effort that goes against OI's
documentation principles. It also does not includes re-inventing the wheels.
(Reinventing the whell includes rewriting already existing docs, instead
of renewing existing one.)
- Communication between formats it already done with XML and exporting
to html and PDF

What we see here is Wiki reinvented and OI already has a Wiki!
Please use Wiki if you think you have some great article to write and
you want it to be part of Openindiana. Sites like .ninja and github web
pages are not places for Openindiana docs, especially if they are not
licensed to be OI docs.
- Minimizing man/hour requires accepting OI's documentation licenses and
there is no compromise about that.
*You aether accept open documentation license including Contributor
agreement to OI or you contribute your time at somewhere else.*