[oi-dev] demonstration docs website

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon May 2 14:57:07 UTC 2016

On 05/ 2/16 03:44 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Mon, 2 May 2016, Nikola M wrote:

>>> Why don't you let the people who run the project decide whether or
>>> not to accept
>>> contributions before you chase everyone away?
>>
>> There is no one who "runs the project" except us all, here and now,
>> together.
>> Everyone is free to contribute in all possible ways he seems fit.
>>
>> Support proprietary projects is not very high on my list.
>
> You made a lot of good points but in total it felt hostile.  It seems
> like you are saying that if perfection is not possible, then the work
> is not worth doing.

Like I haven't said so ;) Having good intentions in mind can help not
avoiding the topic itself.

> It seems most important that the license for the documentation
> (regardless of where it is initially developed) is suitable for other
> uses in OpenIndiana and that it can be incorporated in OpenIndiana
> documentation (or cut/pasted as part of blogs) as maintainers/athors
> see fit.

You are right.
And since we can't change existing Opensolaris documentation licence
that needs to renewed.. we ar kind of married to it unless we want to
loose all docs.
I don't think starting from scratch is meaningful and neither having
then outside openindiana site.

I suggest that Wiki (wiki.openindiana.org) is a nice place to write
shorter articles that can be easily reviewed and changed in wiki way and
as a plus, they are instantly available on OI's site.
(and after, wiki be incorporated into documentation).

Actually, changes to docs need time and starting to review illumos
changes and later OI's changes since Opensolaris, so we can have them
all covered and start implementing changed on day to day bases at a moment.
Since there are so many docs available,
(http://dlc.openindiana.org/docs/) it is wise renewing them.