[oi-dev] OpenIndiana Docs (proof of concept) - What is it all about?

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri May 6 06:21:48 UTC 2016

On 05/ 4/16 07:00 AM, Michael Kruger wrote:

> * Community conduct
> * Project visibility
> * Proof of concepts
>
> * Version control
> * Hosting infrastructure
> * Project marketing, SEO
>
> * Existing docs (OSOL Docs)
> * Viability/Usability of Wiki
> * dlc.openindiana.org/docs
> * Documentation Standards (media types, etc.)
> * Licensing/Contributer agreements/copyrights, branding etc.

As I see you haven't start talking on any of this topics. Ah well.

> So, this is my creative outlet. This is a place where I can express
> myself, learn, try new things, and explore new ideas. It's a place
> where I can (hopefully) make a difference.

So basically, you need a place to vent?
i think OI community can recognize there is much more then this to be
connected to OI.

You need to understand WHY you support some actual project, possibly
using it and wanting to have sucsess because you NEED it to work out.
Not just some side-hobby because it is good place to spend your time
without personal involvement part.
So think again about your motivation and get back when you have
something more positive to say about OI.

> If not, the project will eventually curl up and die.

No it will not cur.. and it surely does not depend on you..
Are you injecting to us some feeling of bad taste?

> However, before any of that happens, people may find themselves
> needing to work alone or in small groups

That way of working is not positive , all work needs to be public
(therefore no submarines).
Constant communicating plans, intentions and work has a positive way of
having feedback that can correct you in early stages and make it better.
So we should not support constantly including new submarines as a process.
You should as frequently and to many people: "what do you think?", "have
any idea?" and not thinking you always (or ever) having the best one.
So accepting other peoples' reactions an guidance is crucial if you
don't want to go underwater.

> specifically and intentionally excluding individuals with problematic
> behaviors. This will occur because it's simply not possible to get
> anything done in an atmosphere of hostility, jumping to premature
> conclusions, or where kvetching is the rule of the day.

Coming from isolated environment, you misplace open reactions and idea
and project building for hostility.

Actually, ANY request for actual hostility creation toward individuals ,
that you recommend as a way of doing things must be squashed instantly.
Trolling this project with "exclusion" of people as way of doing things
will not be accepted.
ANYONE asking for any other person to be disgarded should be disgarded
itself so that such unfriendly and inhumane requests you propose don't
tore this community apart.

This idea of yours is a cancer and you are just reading a cure for it.
Also if you base your "inclusion" in "excluding" people as a main tool,
you surely are _not_ a material for any type of human and project
management in OI.

> This leads me to suggest there should be an OpenIndiana 'Code of
> Conduct' to help reign in people with troublesome behaviors. After
> all, such individuals effectively prevent others from achieving
> anything meaningful. The future of the project may very well depend on
> it.

You just broke unofficial existing Code of conduct, that is not calling
people themselves "kvetching" and bad names and therefore lowering
discussions to off-topic and personal attacks.
Presenting my comments above I see you are not understanding how things
are done openly, I suggest you don't get yourself into any type of
creating Codes of conduct, especially not for OI.

Doing things openly - it is normal to have reactions and having them is
exactly what IS positive.
And it is not normal to replicate closed, isolated and excluding
environment that you are maybe used to.

>  I wrote it all for the pure joy of writing. And in the spirit of
> community, it's free and available to all.

As said, you got to work on your motivations, but that's again, your
personal thing and not putting personal things is a good way not to be
ditched in off-topic.

> 1) Place documentation under distributed version control.
> 2) Lower the bar of entry to the documentation process.
> 3) Make changes and quickly deploy those changes in some kind of
> automated fashion (e.g. continuous integration).
> 4) Present the documentation in an organized and aesthetically
> pleasing way.

This is all already solved by Openindiana Wiki.
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/OpenIndiana+Wiki+Home
Acually illumos even turned it's main page to wiki, to have less BS to
be worried about.

> It's been said that a project lives or dies by it's documentation.
> Whether that's really true or not, I don't know, but the general
> perception for OpenIndiana is it's largely an undocumented project.

Surely this is not true and Openindiana is documented through Wiki and
Opensolaris docs that need renewal,
while large part of Openindiana functionality is mutual with illumos, too.
Opensolaris docs are very large and very well written and there is not
many project on internet with so many good docs like OI, you just choose
not to see it.
So this is not positive assertion at all toward the project nor reflects
real  state of things.

> The current state of the wiki is quite poor. The content is poorly
> organized, largely outdated, and the navigation menus do not function
> at all on mobile devices (this included tablets). This is a real
> problem, especially if the project expects people to rely on the Wiki
> as the "go to" source of information about the OpenIndiana project.

This is also false statement.
One with a positive attitude tend to improve, not replace with something
newer and wit less merit.
You surely should spend more time on it and TALK to people about
improving it, before jumping conclusions.

You can post a bug report after you found that some navigational parts
of Wiki are possibly not visible on some tablet (What tablet, what
version, what mobile phone?) in bug description.

Besides, OI and largely illumos is made for primarly server use on x86
machines, then again have keyboard and mouse in front of them when
browsing, so fixing visibility is important but someone could argue it
is also marginal for server-oriented software distribution.

People will continue to rely on Wiki for go-to source of information
because it is Openindiana Wiki and people are free to contribute articles.

> I can only conclude by saying this is quite unacceptable and something
> better is required. Whether that something better is my little project,
You are trying to swallow OI to outside project. So it is not "your
little project".
OI docs project is not "Yours" at all , it is OI's and making it
"exclusive" for someone is no the way of doing things that is supported
here.

> or something else entirely, that's for the community to decide.

And you are trying to input to OI "rivalry" and multiple project
concurence doing same things as the 'modus operandi' that is looking to
divide people, projects into hostile separate environments that
"replace" each other instead of integrating.
So also not a very positive idea for OI. We are not Microsoft.

> My proposal is on the table and I can only expect it to be fairly
> judged on it's technical merits. It should not however be frontally
> assaulted because it differs from the way things have always been done.

You lack sense of perspective and are missing the point on more then
multiple fronts.
I doubt you can be corrected fully , but if we accept your willingness
to work, you must accepr willingness to listen, and you have not been
showing it yet.

I think that having personal side-show with publishing everything
written instantly on web, without redacting and filtering is not needed
attitude for long work on docs ahead. Rewards come out of hard work and
there are no "shortcuts" to make youself happier.

I suggest you write a personal blog and speak of your writings in that
contect and make it presented like that in more humble way and come to
the community without arrogance of replacing everything and describing
Oi a bad tone in process. (There comes "Community standards part :) )