[oi-dev] OpenIndiana Docs (proof of concept) - What is it all about?

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri May 6 13:51:34 UTC 2016

> You need to understand WHY you support some actual project, possibly using
> it and wanting to have sucsess because you NEED it to work out.  Not just
> some side-hobby because it is good place to spend your time without
> personal involvement part.
> So think again about your motivation and get back when you have something
> more positive to say about OI.

Please stay on-topic: technical feedback on a demonstration.

> Coming from isolated environment, you misplace open reactions and idea and
> project building for hostility. Actually, ANY request for actual hostility
> creation toward individuals , that you recommend as a way of doing things
> must be squashed instantly.
> Trolling this project with "exclusion" of people as way of doing things
> will not be accepted.
> ANYONE asking for any other person to be disgarded should be disgarded
> itself so that such unfriendly and inhumane requests you propose don't tore
> this community apart.
>
> This idea of yours is a cancer and you are just reading a cure for it.
> Also if you base your "inclusion" in "excluding" people as a main tool,
> you surely are _not_ a material for any type of human and project
> management in OI.

Same applies here, your attitude is dismissive and you do not provide input
regarding the technical merits or shortcomings of the proposal.

> This is all already solved by Openindiana Wiki.
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/OpenIndiana+Wiki+Home
> Acually illumos even turned it's main page to wiki, to have less BS to be
> worried about.
>

> Surely this is not true and Openindiana is documented through Wiki and
> Opensolaris docs that need renewal,
> while large part of Openindiana functionality is mutual with illumos, too.
> Opensolaris docs are very large and very well written and there is not
> many project on internet with so many good docs like OI, you just choose
> not to see it.
> So this is not positive assertion at all toward the project nor reflects
> real  state of things.
>

> This is also false statement.
> One with a positive attitude tend to improve, not replace with something
> newer and wit less merit.
> You surely should spend more time on it and TALK to people about improving
> it, before jumping conclusions.

This you personal opinion only and the points listed by Michael are
objectively not completely addressed by the Wiki.
The matter has been discussed several times, including on IRC with you.
You have the right to disagree but please do not make generalities.

Instead of leaving the discussion getting out off hand and having to
reconnect pieces scattered across several emails, may I suggest that you
formalize your take on documentation ?
Please do it in a reasonable time frame so that we can keep the momentum of
Michael's initiative.

I am personally very positive about the proposed system as it solves
several shortcomings of the existing one. If not better proposition is
voiced and *implemented* I do not see why the idea cannot move forward.
If criticism does not lead to a better solution and offers no
implementation, one cannot justify not moving forward.

This is a discussion, let us remain open and courteous and let us get back
to the topics: technical benefits + contribution process.