[oi-dev] demonstration docs website

Michael Kruger makruger2000 at gmail.com
Sat May 7 13:45:04 UTC 2016

On 05/07/2016 04:21 AM, Nikola M wrote:

> Michael Kruger maliciously requested yesterday that all Opensolaris docs
> be removed from
> http://dlc.openindiana.org/docs/ , not telling he requested to host
> expanded .zip with Opensolaris docs as reference, but I requested for
> another Dir with Docs be there for Docs renewal reference.

For a little history on this.....

Since I signed on to help with the docs effort, one of the first things
I wanted to see done was to have the original OpenSolaris docs
re-hosted. Yes, they're obsolete, but they are extremely comprehensive
and much of the information contained within them is still relevant.

To that end I requested some time ago for Xenol to upload a collection
of OpenSolaris PDF files to meet this need. These PDF files are a subset
of a documentation archive provided by Nikolam.

At this same time Nikolam also made a request to upload the remainder of
his collection to the DLC server. For anyone interested in what else was
there, Nikolam has provided a link below where the archive can be
downloaded.

Immediately it was pointed out there could be licensing concerns as the
OSOL PDF's were SUN Microsystems branded. For this reason, nothing was
announced so I could take the time to research the licensing aspects of
it all.

In my ignorance, up until this point I had assumed that if something
originated from Sun's OpenSolaris efforts and was labeled 'OpenSolaris',
it's probably OK to rehost. That unfortunately was a naive and incorrect
assumption, and I apologize for it.

In the end I could only conclude much of the information we uploaded was
indeed in violation of copyrights held by Oracle, Internet Archive, and
others (Sun, etc.).

It is now my understanding the only content which we can safely re-host
is content explicitly PDL licensed. Doing otherwise, is verboten.

For this reason I requested for the content to be removed.

I accept full responsibility for both the original uploading of those
SUN PDF's and my request to have them removed.