[oi-dev] MATE 1.14 Desktop for OpenIndiana

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sun May 8 22:08:16 UTC 2016

> There is nothing like "legacy release". Bad choice if wording.
> /legacy (pkg.openindiana.org/legacy) holds opensolaris releases up tp
> snv_134 and that is what Legacy is.
>
> You are referring to Openindiana /dev development releases.

Like it or not, something dead for 2 years and unmaintained maybe called
"legacy" but I can use "vintage" if you like.
I can also call it "Château OpenIndiana 2013 Vendange Tardive" or whatever,
does not change the current developments.

> Openindiana is currently not devided into anything, and there is no
> devision between openindiana and Openindiana, so it is again bad choice of
> wording.
> Since only Openindiana Hipster is updated regularly, it is what is
> obviously active, so there is nothing like division in Openindiana.

Moving from consolidations to oi-userland, dropping legacy and obsolete
components, moving away from SUN compilers etc... make 151a and Hipster two
different animals.
Additional philosophical questions: if a tree has several branches, is it
divided ? does your self from 3 years ago identifies with your current self
? etc...

> I think that plans of putting releases that could land in /dev out of
> Hipster snapshot (after testing is made with updating) , could be hurt, if
> you call Openindiana development releases in /dev with the wrong name.

If you want to call "Development", something that is not developed, fair
enough: come up with a better taxonomy, I have personally no strong opinion.

I propose "vintage", "indie" and "hipster" to stay rock'n roll.

> Also if you have a separate announcement not related to the topic can you
> please make a new topic on ML whe nposting separate topic?

I updated the page to point to MATE's Wiki page according to Ken's message
so my reply is in no way unrelated.

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings