[oi-dev] MATE 1.14 Desktop for OpenIndiana

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sun May 8 23:02:45 UTC 2016

On 05/ 9/16 12:08 AM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:

>     There is nothing like "legacy release". Bad choice if wording.
>     /legacy (pkg.openindiana.org/legacy
>     <http://pkg.openindiana.org/legacy>) holds opensolaris releases up
>     tp snv_134 and that is what Legacy is.
>
>     You are referring to Openindiana /dev development releases.
>

> Like it or not, something dead for 2 years and unmaintained maybe
> called "legacy" but I can use "vintage" if you like.
> I can also call it "Château OpenIndiana 2013 Vendange Tardive" or
> whatever, does not change the current developments.

It is about precising what is named what.
Not looking what is active and how long and how.

You can't call /dev past development releases a "Legacy" since "Legacy"
is reserved for /legacy and they are Opensolaris dev. releases.

It's not about what is active or, not, we all know only OI hipster is
currently active it is simple you can't just decide to change /dev's
name because you say so,
because you create conflict of naming that creates confusion for users
and documentation.

I don't find this humorous , I understand you recommend that Openindiana
development releases in /dev be called "Vintage releases".
I don't think that is more appropriate to call it "Old Openindiana /dev
development releases" and naming it wit any new name including one you
proposed, would create confusion and disable /dev renewal.

>     Openindiana is currently not devided into anything, and there is
>     no devision between openindiana and Openindiana, so it is again
>     bad choice of wording.
>     Since only Openindiana Hipster is updated regularly, it is what is
>     obviously active, so there is nothing like division in Openindiana.
>

> Moving from consolidations to oi-userland, dropping legacy and
> obsolete components, moving away from SUN compilers etc... make 151a
> and Hipster two different animals.
> Additional philosophical questions: if a tree has several branches, is
> it divided ? does your self from 3 years ago identifies with your
> current self ? etc...

Openindiana is not divided. That is bad choice of words that sends the
wrong message.
Think about what people from outside think when they hear the world
"Devided", they simply won't get it.

Openindiana /hipster just continued to be active somewhere when OI /dev
stopped being active, nothing is "devided" in Openindiana, how many
projects or releases does it have.

This is a practical thing.
You have cow and a pig.  You decided to call a cow as a pig, because a
cow didn't give you milk lately.
That is wrong, because pig is a pig and cow is a cow. (and neither cow
is a sheep)
It's an old cow.

You can't call /dev other then "Old development releases", because
"Legacy" is reserved and used already.

>     I think that plans of putting releases that could land in /dev out
>     of Hipster snapshot (after testing is made with updating) , could
>     be hurt, if you call Openindiana development releases in /dev with
>     the wrong name.
>

> If you want to call "Development", something that is not developed,
> fair enough: come up with a better taxonomy, I have personally no
> strong opinion.

Development releases are both in /dev and /hipster now in past and in
the future.

I think that it is sane plan to update contents on /dev with new dev
release, made out of /hipster,
but you should stop calling /dev with the other name, including docs and
mentions on site.

> I propose "vintage", "indie" and "hipster" to stay rock'n roll.

Vintage is not good because /dev will stay /dev, yust updated with
hipster snapshots.
That would allow that /dev people can see one day update notice.

Vintage as a name dosn't have any use at the moment and it would be too
complicated to have and maintain transition period and explain that
"vintage" is a /dev again.
It is mostly useless from all usage point to make a new name for /dev -
old development releases.

I already mentioned that it would hurt /dev landing effort and create
confusion, so please don't re-use "legacy" as a name and remove wrong
references that include it and do not use proposed "vintage" as it is
not accurate and also creates confusion.
Only option that is accurate now and in the past and will be in the
future is "old development releases" (untill they are renewed).

>     Also if you have a separate announcement not related to the topic
>     can you please make a new topic on ML whe nposting separate topic?
>

> I updated the page to point to MATE's Wiki page according to Ken's
> message so my reply is in no way unrelated.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
I was thinking that you should make new topic on mailing list when you
anounced "roadmap page" update, because it is not directly related to
MATE test build announcement (clearly not related to Mate).
That way it could be better noticed and not overlooked in different topic.