[oi-dev] MATE 1.14 Desktop for OpenIndiana

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sun May 8 23:18:57 UTC 2016

On 05/ 9/16 01:09 AM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 1:02 AM, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com
> <mailto:minikola at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     It is about precising what is named what.
>     Not looking what is active and how long and how.
>
>     You can't call /dev past development releases a "Legacy" since
>     "Legacy" is reserved for /legacy and they are Opensolaris dev.
>     releases.
>
>     It's not about what is active or, not, we all know only OI hipster
>     is currently active it is simple you can't just decide to change
>     /dev's name because you say so,
>     because you create conflict of naming that creates confusion for
>     users and documentation.
>
>     I don't find this humorous , I understand you recommend that
>     Openindiana development releases in /dev be called "Vintage releases".
>     I don't think that is more appropriate to call it "Old Openindiana
>     /dev development releases" and naming it wit any new name
>     including one you proposed, would create confusion and disable
>     /dev renewal.
>

> OK. The difference is between names and labels: labels are moving targets.

You can't introduce any labels, because they collide with the name as
explained or are innacurate. Labels are not needed and are confusing.

Ok, so you will fix it to wording be "Old Openindiana development
releases" ?
And you will fix it that there is no any "Devide" in Openindiana in the
past and now?
That requires that your announcement be rewritten?
What do you propose to be exact wording of an announcement then?

I hope we don't need to put this to the vote,
since it is obvious that /legacy exists and is in use and that "Vintage"
cna't be used for labeling,
because it hurts proposed /dev repository renewal project.