[oi-dev] Making VIM run in a modern mode by default

Denys Rtveliashvili denys at rtveliashvili.name
Sat May 21 17:17:01 UTC 2016

Hello Volker,

The list of gains is huge but the most obvious to me are:
a) syntax highlighting makes it easier to read code and configuration files
b) navigation is possible with arrow keys, page-up/down, home/end
c) selecting blocks of texts and running regexps over them is trivial

And I see not a single downside in the non-compatible vim mode.

I have never seen it not working in a limited environment. As long as
terminal is correctly specified it acts accordingly.

Yes, OpenIndiana is not Linux. But does it mean that it should be worse
than Linux?

"vi" is a system utility, no question about it. But it is not "ed" or
"sed". It is used by real human beings. And that's why I would like it
to be more human oriented.

The original Solaris "vi" also was not set in stone I suppose. Surely it
was updated over time as people needed a useful tool.

Well to me the olden "vi" is broken. I cannot use it without much
shivering. I prefer a tool which was polished by many people to be an
excellent, if not best, text editor. Why would I want to use a
fossilised "vi" mode which has not effectively developed with time if
there is a better tool doing all the same thing plus many more?

Really, can you name a few actual examples why "non compatible" mode is
worse than a "compatible" one?