[oi-dev] Making VIM run in a modern mode by default

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sat May 21 18:06:26 UTC 2016

> Hello Volker,
>
> The list of gains is huge but the most obvious to me are:
> a) syntax highlighting makes it easier to read code and configuration files
> b) navigation is possible with arrow keys, page-up/down, home/end
> c) selecting blocks of texts and running regexps over them is trivial
>
> And I see not a single downside in the non-compatible vim mode.

Maybe my question was stupid but: are there environment for which using
"vim" as "vi" breaks things ? (serial consoles ?)
If it is the case then Volker has a point.

> I have never seen it not working in a limited environment. As long as
> terminal is correctly specified it acts accordingly.
>
> Yes, OpenIndiana is not Linux. But does it mean that it should be worse
> than Linux?

I do not think that is the point: if Linux distributions chose to call "vi"
something that is not "vi" that's their choice but that's debatable.
On the contrary, if you call "vim" nowadays you expect to use "vim" not in
vi-compatible mode.

These are two differents issues although related.

> "vi" is a system utility, no question about it. But it is not "ed" or
> "sed". It is used by real human beings. And that's why I would like it to
> be more human oriented.
>
> The original Solaris "vi" also was not set in stone I suppose. Surely it
> was updated over time as people needed a useful tool.
>
> Well to me the olden "vi" is broken. I cannot use it without much
> shivering. I prefer a tool which was polished by many people to be an
> excellent, if not best, text editor. Why would I want to use a fossilised
> "vi" mode which has not effectively developed with time if there is a
> better tool doing all the same thing plus many more?
>
> Really, can you name a few actual examples why "non compatible" mode is
> worse than a "compatible" one?
>
> Hello Denys!
>>

>> VIM runs in non-compatible mode by default on many if not all Linux
>>> distributions and frankly I see no reasons why would someone want to
>>> have it in "compatible" mode.
>>>
>> Because this is not Linux, and the "system" vi should be as close to
>> the original Solaris vi it replaced.
>>
>> Why can't you just set that for your user account?  What is the gain?
>> Remember that the system vi may be used in a limited environment,
>> such as a serial system console.  Don't fix things that aren't broken.
>>

>> Regards -- Volker

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings